During the holiday gift-giving season, it is not uncommon for well-meaning animal lovers to give pets as presents. Although veterinarians know this is usually not a good idea, many people fail to consider all aspects of responsible pet ownership before getting or giving a pet.
As part of its public outreach campaign, OVMA is airing educational commercials on ONN radio stations across the state. The fourth and final commercial of 2012 will air in December and deal with responsible pet ownership. OVMA invites members to link to the commercial from their Web sites and social media profiles to help educate their clients about the responsibilities that come with owning an animal.
Additional pet ownership resources are available for member use as well, including:
- New Pet Health Checklist (pdf)
- Hold Your Horses! What you need to know about buying a horse (pdf)
- Help control pet overpopulation! Spay/neuter your pet (pdf)
- Pet Identification: Proper ID could bring your pet home (pdf)
- Disaster Planning (mp3)
- Pet Medications Safety (mp3)
Find more resources from the OVMA and the Public Education Committee online at http://ohiovma.org/veterinarians/publiced.html.