Assist the Veterinarian in surgery and in general shelter duties.
• Prepare the surgery room, cages, oxygen tank, instrument packs, instrument cleaning solutions.
• Check in animals for surgery.
• Prepare each animal for surgery by administering anesthesia, shaving and sanitizing surgical sites.
• Administer vaccines and microchips for client animals as needed; maintain microchip records.
• Move anesthetized animals to the surgery table.
• Move animals from surgery table to recovery after surgery.
• Monitor the functioning of the autoclave and properly store the instrument packs after sterilization.
• Make sure all laundry is completed and clean towels are stored properly.
• Help the veterinarian with intakes, including completing the required paperwork.
• Perform health checks on all incoming and resident felines including: Fel-v\Fiv testing, giving flea medication, deworming meds, and vaccinations.
• Observe and analyze resident animal behaviors.
• Assist the veterinarian in performing euthanasia.
• Assist the veterinarian in treating dogs and cats brought in for the wellness clinic.
• Work will be evaluated annually by Shelter Veterinarian and Shelter Supervisor
• Salary, starting at $15.00 /hr. for 36 hours per week.
• Vet Tech degree from an AVMA-accredited veterinary technology program
• A Registered Veterinary Technician License issued by the Ohio Veterinary Medical Licensing Board, or a plan to apply for the license within a specific period of time.
• Previous practical experience working in an animal shelter preferred but not required.
• Good people skills, ability to work in a team setting; ability to communicate verbally and in writing to other staff and to the public.